Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Shopping, Agadir Style


I love to travel. It's exciting to see new sights and experience new cultures. Last year I had a chance to visit Morocco and sample the exotic happenings in that country. My itinerary was supposed to include Casablanca and Tangier, but due to some unrest we had to settle for Agadir on the Atlantic coast. Morocco is an arid country (not unlike the area where I live) so I saw many similarities. But the Souks (markets) in this area are a delight to the senses. Souk souk (yes, you say it twice for the bigger markets) is like a supermarket in our country, but they aren't in a nice, fancy, air conditioned building. Most are partially open air not unlike our flea markets. And be prepared to bargain. It must be a national pastime. I took this shot at the old fort overlooking the port. It was hard not to buy something, so, I bought and even got a bracelet and key chain thrown in on the deal.


"Agadir Jewels" © Kathy Dunham 2008

No comments: