Monday, September 1, 2008

The Little Tug That Could


It was 4:30 in the morning when I first this tug. He was pushing our cruise ship right below our port hole as we started our transit through the Panama Canal. This was an adventure I'd been waiting for. And it was worth every minute. The day was misty, no sun, but I spent a good deal of it on deck. Taking pictures from every angle. I didn't care if I got wet. That's what raincoats are for. The process is fascinating and not a minute is lost in maneuvering these huge ships through the locks. And what an engineering feat this was, building a passage through the jungle to connect two oceans. And they're expanding it to accommodate even larger vessels. I'm going through again this year and I wonder what I'll see this time.


"The Little Tug That Could" © Kathy Dunham 2008

No comments: